Sunday, August 30, 2009

For those of you interested in the saga of my pants

Reproduced below. I'm not sure if I feel worse being robbed of a good pair of pants or of the recognition that I am, in fact, hysterical....


Email to North Face's parent company, VFC something or other--


Funny story, actually: I was abroad doing some medical work when on a rare day off I went to the beach. I was wearing my North Face Paramount convertible pants at the time, converted as shorts. Suffice to say, I was mugged. To my dismay, the attackers made off with a few items including, for reasons unclear to me, the right leg of the pants (the left, I guess, they didn't feel they could sell?). Luckily, my phone was kept safe in the front right hip zippered pocket (which can now legititmately be advertised as a theft deterrant) and all ended well. Except that I am currently in the position of having a very nice pair of shorts and one left gaiter. I would obviously much prefer to have the whole thing intact. How would I go about obtaining a replacement R sided leg for a 34-inch inseam Dune beige Paramount convertible pant? I bought the item in the US, but have since moved on from Africa to Australia, so I'm not sure how to provide proof of purchase (it was originally through REI...). I'm not sure if there is even a supply of the pant legs laying about somewhere. I'd love to have the set whole again, though, as they are my favorite pants for work in the Emergency Department as well as play (why I was wearing them at the time of the incident, in fact...). Looking forward to a response. Cheers, --andrew s.



Response(s)--


Hi Bernie, Pls kindly review the case with customer below. thanks! Best Regards,Jessica




Good Evening, Andrew

Thank you for contacting us in regards to your The North Face product.
Unfortunately, we do not supply spare part to replace the missing right foot of the convertible pant.

Below stores are some places where they still stock this convertible pant for purchases:
Paddy Pallin, Anaconda, and The North Face retail store on Pitt street, Sydney.

Hope this info will assist.

Kind Regards
Bernardus



Bernie, turns out, has the title of "After Sales Manager." If nothing else, I feel gratified knowing that responding to my email gave him something to do with his day...


Cheers,

--aws


Oh, PS-- On a separate note, in looking into this, I found out that REI discontinued their line of Granite-style(?) canvass pants. These were, without question, the pants that have made me happiest thus far in my adult life, and my current pair are torn and mildly blood-stained. Shattering.


View of the Launceston dryer/living room combo-- shorts and accessory gaiter; the lonely Granite pants (my study area in background...)

1 comment:

  1. I had a dream about you this weekend (all I remember is that you were in it somehow and I realized that I hadn't checked in with Doctor of Fortune in too long!)

    So--I'm catching up on old posts. If you still need some REI pants, I have a friend who started working at the one here in St. Louis just for the discounts, so I could possibly provide a path to discounted goodies that could be sent to you if you need anything!

    PS Your email about your missing pants leg was hilarious. I hope the people at North Face have it up on the office kitchen refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete