Saturday, May 30, 2009

Comings and goings...


So when I signed up I was given the impression I might be alone on the ground in Monrovia. That didn't change until about 3 days before I left when I finally got an email saying not only would I be picked up at the airport, but that a bunch of people would be here. That being said, over this past week they've all left. Thanks to Louis from UofChic ED, jonathan from UofChic IM, Tammie and Tricia from UMass Peds, and Marcia from Tulane IM (this crazy chick has been in Liberia since January! Either committed or should be...).

The rumor is that one of this past year's first HEARTT Residents will be coming back a few days before I leave in July. Hope that's true. So much of this kind of stuff is "medical tourism," without even a continuing presence, let alone a self-conscious effort to emphasize development work. Hope hope hope. Hope for something good to come of your time, the breaths you take. Hope for people to be better than they expected to be. Hope some things matter, after all. We'll see.

But thanks to my new friends. "May we always remember the people we have been; may we ever be ready to meet again for the first time."

No comments:

Post a Comment