Saturday, June 6, 2009

Video diary...

Sorry to take long between posts. The internet is very slow and now, over the weekend when I don't go in as much, the power will be out in the dormitory compound until Monday... So, I've started to collect "post thoughts" and will upload like crazy when I can. I've also started to put together a video diary of sorts-- ala “Grizzly Man” I can only hope, though, that Werner Herzog narrates... For Lee-- "That's Sirius, the dog star. That's some serious stuff." And "Grape Soda Strategic Night Maneuvers."

I'm learning how to use the camera I got recently, so hopefully this video will load up. The internet is a little speedier at the restaurant down the road from the hospital. So, I braved the weather in my boy scout poncho and made the trek down. Rachel, another HEARTT doc, showed up yesterday to do some OB/GYN research, so I'm learning a little more about getting around Monrovia as well. Between the dark, the difficulty/danger in securing car transport, and the now torrential rain (Rainy season began 3 days ago-- nothing, then -BAM-, rain that would embarrass your mother) it's tough to get around.

Hope the video uploads. The following posts are for a few of the "in the know" JFK-ers...

IMCI = IMBM (“it must be malaria”)

Interesting evening tonight. You know your country is up a creek when the Haitian ENT doc says he's never seen anything like it before. “It is very very estrange.” “That was, zomething zpecial.” “It is very very curious for this to happen in a hospital.” “How can you do it without materiales?” "How do you dilate without seeing what you are dilating?"

The Security guys now have blue blazers and little yellow badges. They stop the Liberians and ask to see inside their plastic bags. What are they worried about them sneaking in or out? Seriously. I was stopped the other day and they looked inside my computer case. Am I stealing an African baby? Do I look like Madonna?

No comments:

Post a Comment